Are you curious, detail oriented and technical? Do you want to design things and systems to make them work better? If so, structural design jobs like engineering and in architecture may be of interest especially since these careers are among the top earning fields.
While it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to get into engineering and architecture, many of the best and highest paying jobs in this field do require a higher education. If you are someone who has earned a degree in these fields, or is interested in doing so, learn some of the highest paying jobs that could be available to you below.
Aerospace engineers design, build and test airplanes, drones, spacecraft and missiles. While there are private sector jobs, most of these jobs are with government agencies and government contractors. Job candidates need to be well-versed in physics, mathematics and aerodynamics. Since the field is highly specialized, the most common major for these positions is aerospace engineering.
Prospective aerospace engineers can get their foot in the door by interning at NASA, Boeing or another aerospace company. The average salary for aerospace engineers is $84,892 and the average entry level salary is $70,000.
Network architecture design computer network infrastructures including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs) and intranets. They need to balance the computing and communication needs of the company or organization against the cost and may also be involved in network security.
The most common majors in this field are computer science, engineering, mathematics and physics. Certifications that will help you secure a job include:
- Salesforce Certified Technical Architect (CTA)
- ITIL Master
- Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA)
- The Open Group TOGAF 9
- Zachman Certified – Enterprise Architect
Those looking to get into this job need to have a thorough understanding of computer networks, business requirements and planning. In addition to technical knowledge, they need to have an analytical mind and good communication skills.
The average salary is $122,125, which is typically augmented with bonuses and other compensation. Entry level salaries are around $73,000.
Architects design, plan and work with engineers and construction professionals to build residential, commercial and industrial buildings, taking the project from concept to reality. In addition to designing the look and functionality of the building, they do feasibility reports, assess environmental impact, create project proposals, estimate cost and timelines and oversee construction.
- Prospective architects need to have design skills, knowledge of construction, analytical and reasoning skills and be good communicators. They also need to be good at mathematics.
- Good majors for this position include general architecture, architectural sciences & technology, urban and regional planning, environmental design and interior architecture.
- Most architects work for architectural firms, but they can also be found at construction companies, real estate developers and engineering firms.
- Architects get paid $82,499 per year on average, and starting architects get around $44,356.