Aside from Pell Grants, the U.S. Department of Education offers other grants that individuals can apply for. These grants are typically directed at individuals who meet certain qualifications.

These other grants are distributed to individuals in two ways: one way is that the federal government directly manages the grant program and individuals can apply directly to the federal government.

Discretionary Federal Grants: Do You Qualify?
Back 5 of 5

Secondly, the federal government administers grants to specific institutions, which then award funds to certain individuals. So, you will have to apply for the grant through the secondary institution

Some federal education grants that are administered through secondary institutions are: 

  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity grant (FSEOG), and
  • Work-Study. 

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is administered to individuals directly through the financial aid offices of the colleges and universities that participate in the program. You can apply for the FSEOG by submitting your FAFSA through your school financial aid office. 

If you are awarded a FSEOG, you can receive anywhere between $100 and $4,000 per year. How much you receive depends on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other grants or financial aid you receive, and how much funds your school is able to allot. And, the majority of FSEOG receiving students never have to pay the grant back

Federal Work-Study is another form of federal grants that students can apply for through their school financial aid office. Work-study works by the school providing part-time jobs to both undergraduate and graduate students. 

So, providing part-time jobs specifically to financially needy students, it gives both part-time and full-time students the opportunity to work and earn money to put towards their education expenses. Oftentimes, school work-study programs will work with the student to make sure their work-study position aligns with their subject of study.

Back 5 of 5

By Admin